Reading through the Bible fills me with a greater picture of who God is. As I read & listen, through an app called YouVersion, my prayer is that God will be present, teach me, give me a love for His word, make His voice familiar to me, reveal His character to me, give me a heart that breaks for what breaks His, fill me with His love for people that overflows to those around me, draws me nearer to Him, encourages me through His great love, refines me into who He’s created and called me to be and helps me remain in Him as I move through my day, no matter what comes my way.
As I journeyed through Genesis, here are some of the overarching characteristics of God that jumped off the pages of my Bible (the references I’ve included aren’t exclusive, just some examples of why I’ve noticed those characteristics):
- God exists & Creator of all good- light, night & day, land, sea, animals, humans, work & rest (Ch. 1)
- God exists in three divine parts-God/Father (1:1), Spirit of God (1:26, 11:7), Jesus/Son (John 1:1-5, 14, 18)
- Grower- planted a garden in Eden (2:8)
- Present in creation & with people- God saw (1:4) walked in the garden (3:8)
- Sin has consequences, but God is still present, loving & involved with His children; made clothing for Adam & Eve (3:21)
- God grieves man’s corruption & regretted making man (6:1-8)
- God remembers Noah, spoke to Noah & promises to never again destroy everything on earth & gives us the reminder with a rainbow (Ch. 8)
- He is the God who hears & sees people in their suffering & pain (Ch. 16, 30:17)
- Nothing is impossible for God (18:14)
- God answers prayers (Ch. 24)
- God gives children/opens wombs (Ch. 30)
- God provides for human needs
- God plans, gives insight & wisdom to people (Joseph- Chs. 39-50)
Of course this list is by no means exclusive or exhaustive, but these are some of the insights I’ve been reminded of through Genesis this year so far. What is so amazing to me is how God’s word is like a never ending well, no matter how much you read & study, He continues to teach through each passage by highlighting different aspects each time I read. His word is alive and active just like Paul stated in Hebrews 4:12. The depth of insight & understanding will sustain me all the days of my life & I am just beginning!
What treasures will you uncover as you wade with God into the depths of His word?
Beauty & Blessings,